Monday, August 31, 2015

Joe Garland, Part 3

We conclude our story.......

I took the subway to Queens, then a cab to Bushwick Park. It didn't take long to find the apartment building where Rudolph Sleigh lived. It was a run-down old building and it reminded me of my office.

I walked up and knocked on the door. An old grey-haired man answered.

"Are you Rudolph Sleigh?" I asked.

"Yes, I am."

"My name is Joe Garland, Private Investigator." I said, taking a small business card out of my pocket. "Do you have a minute?"

"Um, sure, um, come on in." He spoke reluctantly, but turned in let me in.

"I'll be direct and straight to the point." I said, sitting down on a chair in the living room. "Santa and his float are missing from the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, and I know that you were in the area around the time of the disappearance."

"Well, I was in the area earlier this morning, but I....."

I interrupted him. "I also know that you were planning something for today, and that your family wanted to put you in an old illusionists' home."

He had started to shake at this point, and he stood up and started yelling."Yes! I took Santa. I did it because nobody recognizes me anymore, and I just wanted to hear the cheers of the crowd one more time! I was going to put him back!"

"But how did you do it?"

"I did it by kidnapping Santa and hiding him in my old apartment down the street, then I took apart the float and hid the pieces all around the city. I  did it all last night," he said with an evil laugh.

I went to the window, and yelled out to a passerby to call the cops.

Several hours later, Rudolph Sleigh was being arraigned on kidnapping and theft charges, while Santa and his float rejoined the parade route.

I went to Clancy's Bar and Grille near Central Park where it occurred to me that illusionists like Sleigh never die, they just slowly disappear.



The End

No comments: