Friday, August 14, 2015

Joe Garland, Part 2

....and now, our story continues......


I asked John about what he knew, then we went down to the spot where Santa and his float were supposed to be. By now, he had calmed down. He had started telling me the history of the parade, and the changes that had taken since he became the president.

While we were walking down 5th Avenue, and I was questioning different people, we bumped into Jimmy "The Grinch", a bookie, drug runner, and old adversary of mine.

"I see you're out again Jimmy, " I remarked.

"Oh, man, give me a break! I've gone straight, you know, turned over a new leaf, " he said.

"Well, Santa's missing, and I think you took him.", I said, looking him square in the face.

" I didn't take him, I tell you, I didn't." Jimmy protested. "But I did see Rudolph Sleigh hanging around the Santa float earlier. "

Rudolph Sleigh. A washed-up, bitter illusionist who hasn't been seen in public for years. Now, suddenly, he's back. How interesting.

I sent John back to his office and told him I'd get back to him in a while. I then went to my office, and had my secretary, Brandy Noel, check out Jimmy "The Grinch" because I still had my suspicions. But, as it turned out, Jimmy had turned over a new leaf, like he said. I guess I was wrong just this once.

"Brandy, I have one other person I want you to check out." I said, lighting up yet another cigarette. "A guy named Rudolph Sleigh."

"I'll get right on it, Joe." she said in that sweet voice of her.

Meanwhile I went around 5th Avenue again and investigated some more. Later I called my office.

"Brandy, this is Joe. Did you finish checking out Sleigh?"

"Yes, I did. It seems that his family wanted to send him to the old illusionists' home and he didn't want to go. Then he said that he had 'something up his sleeve' for today. "

"Where is he living now?" I asked.

"He lives in Queens, near Bushwick Park. I think you better get over there quick."

"Thanks Brandy, why don't you take the rest of the day off."

"Thanks Joe, I'll see you tomorrow." she said, hanging up the phone.



The original Joe Garland story cover

....up next, the exciting conclusion.....


No comments: