Saturday, January 11, 2014

Diary Of A Voice-Over Artist In Training, Part 2

The adventure continues. Part 1 can be found here.


Wednesday December 4th, 2013 7:00PM EST--Today's coaching session is on SMILES. It's important to smile while recording. If you are like me and have experience working in a call center, you  know that the caller can "hear" your smile when you're speaking with them. It's the same with voice over.

There are many different kinds of smiles: amused, confident, I'm-the-boss, in love....the list goes on and on.

Sometimes it's hard to smile. For instance, if you are in a bad mood, but you have to record something happy, you have to force the smile. A trick to help with this is to write "SMILE" at the top of every page of script. You won't be able to resist smiling then! After all, we are actors!

Sunday December 8, 2013 8:00PM EST--Another part of my package is a biweekly webinar. In the past, we've had them on studio equipment, finding your niche, and getting into the zone. Tonight's is on script analysis (SA), hosted by Los Angeles based SAV coach Nancy Wilson.

SA is a very important part of the work. It's the first thing you do when working with a brand new script. It involves answering questions such as: 1. Who are you; 2. What is the product?; 3. Who are you talking to?; 4. What are you reacting to?

When answering these questions, it is vital to get as much detail as possible. Do real character development and backstory--give them a name, job, age. Marital status? Kids? Detail, detail, detail. This will help determine the emotion, pace, and tone of the final recording.

For example, lets do a quick SA on this copy for a Delta Express spot. ("Copy"= script, "Spot"= ad or commercial)

"You say you want a low fare to Florida? A reserved seat and sky miles? Then express yourself with Delta Express. When you fly Delta Express, you can choose from daily nonstop flights to Orlando with simple everyday low fares. We don't require a roundtrip purchase, or even a Saturday night stay. You'll get a low fare, a reserved seat and even sky miles. Delta Express--low fares, and a lot more."

1. Who are you? I am a DE reservations agent at the DE call center.
2. What is the product? Duh, Delta Express. Yes, but go deeper. What am I really selling? The product is an inexpensive, easy, convenient, fun vacation now, and a chance for an even more inexpensive one later (when they use their sky miles.)
3. Who are you talking to? Steven and Elise, married couple, early 30's from Columbus, OH. 3 kids, 10 year old Alex, 8 year old Mallory, and the newborn, Jennifer. Steven manages the local PBS station, Elise is a self-employed architect.
4. What are you reacting to? Steven and Elise have decided it's time for the kids to have their first trip to Disneyworld. They've never flown with us before.

Based on this SA, you'll want a more upbeat tone and a little bit of a faster pace--but not too fast. This will be an exciting trip for the family and you're excited for them. And remember all the great stuff the parents get: convenience, low fares, and sky miles!


Friday December 13, 2013 2:00PM EST--Yet another part of my platinum package (I have to say, I am getting a lot for my money) is an all day seminar on the industry. This was supposed to be tomorrow, but I've just checked my email and with the storm coming, it's been postponed until January 4th.

Wednesday December 18, 2013 7:00PM EST-- Tonight is my 7th coaching session. Half way there! Angela and I go over some practice scripts to reinforce what I 've learned so far. She is really impressed with my practice ethic and how well I'm doing. As I told her, "You know the old joke: 'How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, Practice, Practice.'"

Towards the end of the session, she says that it's time to start thinking about what kind of scripts I want for my demo. (Yay!!!!!) To help me with this, she asks me a whole slew of questions to think over.  We will go over them at our next session, which will be on Jan 8th as we are off for the holidays. In the meantime, she will send me some more lessons and practice copy.




No comments: