Thursday, August 29, 2013

Life in 2089

According to this recent poll by the Pew Research Center, 38% of respondents would personally want to live to age 120, while they thought 68% of most respondents would like to live to that age.

That got me thinking, would I like to live to 120? I think I would, as long as I'm healthy enough to live fairly independently.

My 120th birthday is May 19, 2089.  This means that I will have lived through (most of) the second half of the 20th century, and almost all of the 21st. That is pretty cool. Let's take a quick look ahead at how life will be then:

Technology

With home TVs getting bigger and bigger, and more 3-D technology coming out, we actually have the long awaited (by me, anyway) Star Trek style holodeck/suite.

Robotics have advanced to the point where they  really have some human personality traits and emotions. They are used for all manner of civilian and military purposes. There are some who abuse our robotic tech, but thankfully there has yet to be rebellion.

Transportation

We finally got the flying cars we were promised so many years ago- and it's self driving, which is good. I can work on my 20,000th blog post and 10th book along the way. (I'm writing more since I retired back in 2035.)

We have self driving trains too. And transporters.

Space Travel

Sadly, I have to say that we still have not started a manned mission to Mars. But Virgin Galactic and US Spaceways are going strong, with many daily round trips to the Moon. Both companies have hubs in Boston, Las Vegas, and the Kennedy Space Center.

Politics

Soon, I will be voting in my 25th presidential election. Haven't missed a vote yet.

Medicine

Except for the common cold, all the major diseases are cured, and we have long had the tech needed for an old friend's cryogenic-frozen head to be attached to a new body.

Entertainment

With the holotech we have now, Reality TV has taken on a whole new meaning--yes, this type of show is still on the air, and it sucks worse than ever.

As for me personally, as one might expect,  I'm still volunteering at the Museum of Science-Boston. It must be, what, 80 some-odd years now.



Overall, life is pretty good here. There are still conflicts and problems--we are human, after all. But life has gotten better. We finally got a hold of what our technology and we ourselves can do.



Well, that's my little look at what life may be like in 2089. How about you? Do you even want to live to 120? If so, what do you think life will be like? The comments page is open.







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well by then I will have lived about 70,000 years plus or minus a few because of all my past lifes here on planet Earth.
I have seen fire start from striking two stones together,
I learned to swim by running from a sabertooth tiger, I found that I could defeat my enemies with a long spear while they used clubs,
I plowed fields and stormed castles, I was rich and I was poor, I saw kingdoms rise and fall, I died at birth and lived to be old by the days standard. I killed in battle and was killed in kind, I killed for sport and for fun, I was a slave and a servant, I was both male and female, I had children in some lives and none in others, I raised horses in one life and crops in another. I did all this and more but I don't know what tomorrow holds.

Bill Georato said...

Interesting. That's quite a lot.