Tuesday, April 16, 2013

The 2013 BAA 5K

Dedicated to all affected by the Boston Marathon Bombings: the victims and families; first responders and all the city's medical professionals; and all the runners who trained so hard but were unable to finish. This was all because of an evil act by a coward. Rest assured that we are a strong and vital city and we continue to be. We cannot--will not---be stopped.


On April 14th, 2013 the Boston Athletic Association held its 5th annual 5K (3.1 mile) road race. Traditionally held on the Sunday of Marathon Weekend--the marathon itself was on the following day-- the race takes participants past some of the city's most famous historical spots, and straight through the Marathon finish line.

I have run this race since the beginning, and this year it was the biggest yet, at 6,500 runners.

THE EXPO

But before I get to that, I have to go to the Runner's Expo at the Haynes Convention Center. Here there are hundreds of vendors from all around the running industry. There are representatives from all the major names: Nike, Reebok, New Balance, and of course the Marathon sponsor--Adidas. There are many other companies, too. Other clothing lines and sports related companies of all kinds, tables promoting various races and marathons from around the world --yes, there really is an Antarctica  marathon--and lots of food (runners love food!) There are seminars and talks throughout the weekend; you could even get a pre-race massage, and there are posterboards and markers throughout so spectators can prepare their signs.

The Expo is free and open to the public, but my colleagues and I are here on serious business. There is plenty of time to look around, but first I have to pick up my material for the race (I'm here on Friday afternoon, the opening day of the Expo). After wending my way through a couple of rows of vendors, I reach the 5K pickup area (the marathoners have a separate area, although many are here, some use our race as a last training run). I turn in my pickup card and  get my goodies: my t-shirt, bib (the paper with your number that you pin to your shirt), info on the course and, of course, a few snacks,  random coupons, and advertisements.

RACE DAY

8:00 AM Sunday. I've arrived at the start area in Copley Square and am ready to go. We are all lined up, various running legends have wished us luck, the National Anthem has been sung. The starter's gun goes off.....and so do we.

We are divided up according to our expected pace--I'm about a quarter of the way back from the start, about a 10 minute mile. About 40 seconds after the official start, I cross the start line. My sports watch is in chrono mode, I activate and begin my race.

Starting on Boylston St, running towards the Public Garden, the first turn is a left onto Charles St between the Public Garden and the Boston Common. Thus begins a giant near-loop around the Garden. Left on Beacon St, another onto Arlington. Just before the loop closes, a right onto Newbury St. Half a block further and one mile complete. Quick check of my chrono--9:28. Looking good.

Passing the water station, I grab a cup and start mile 2. The course takes us up and down various side streets, alternating runs along Newbury and Commonwealth Ave. Ultimately settling on Comm, we hit the two mile mark. 1.1 to go. Running down Comm, under the Mass Ave overpass, left on Charlesgate W, and back up the other side of Comm, under the overpass again, grabbing a last water along the way.

Almost there. Taking a right onto Hereford St--a short but steep incline, my personal Heartbreak Hill--from this point on I am on the actual Marathon course. One more left back onto Boylston, and through the finish.

Passing through the finish, we continue walking down Boylston, picking up our medals and goodie bags along the way: yes, more food!

(Click here to see the full course map.)

THE NUMBERS

Well, as might be expected I didn't win. The male winner finished in a blazing fast 12:46, the female in 15:16. But I did have a respectable run: finishing in 32:08--an average of  roughly 11:09 per mile. Given the number of runners and the bottleneck at Mass Ave, I'm happy with this time.

I was the 4108th finisher overall, and out of the 324 people in my age group, I finished in 279th place.

All in all, it was a great day. Perfect running weather, good run, and looking forward to next year!






2 comments:

Dana said...

Sounds like a great run and a nice tradition!

Bill Georato said...

Thanks Dana. It is, and will get even better!